Thursday, December 20, 2007

Mr. Responsible!

I found a list of traits for first born children:

First-born Traits

  • Natural leader - majority of politicians, directors, and spokespersons are first-borns
  • High achiever - sets goals and reaches them
  • Picky and precise - pays attention to detail and expects perfection
  • Organized and competent
  • Punctual
  • Likes to be in control and doesn't like surprises
  • Can be moody and lack sensitivity
  • Can be intimidating and refuse to take no for an answer
  • Sometimes they can be a "know-it-all".
  • Often bossy and feels that they are right
  • Responsible and tries to keep the rules, will misbehave if rejected
  • Tries to please others especially adults, may not say "no" or disagree because they don't want to cause problems
  • Poor at delegating because they want to make sure it's done right
I would have to say, this describes Conner to a tee! I am also the oldest, and fall into many of these categories. But Conner... oh my! He is the most responsible 10 year old I know. A few days ago, the boys were walking home from the bus stop. On their merry walk back to the house, Garrett tripped on a stupid rock in the middle of the sidewalk and skid across the hard, rough cement. He got a nice blow to the head, leaving a nice blue goose egg on his forehead. The bump swelled up right away, and the pain brought Garrett to tears. He wouldn't even walk. Conner, being the best big brother ever, picked up Garrett. With the help of Stockton, they were able to get him home. This was on a Monday, which meant that Karalee, the sitter, would be picking up Zander from Pre-School, so no adult was home. Without even freaking out or panicking, Conner put Garrett on the couch, got some ice in a plastic bag and onto Garrett's protruding wound, and sat with him until he calmed down. After Conner knew Garrett was all right, he got on the phone and called me at work. "Mom, Garrett fell on the sidewalk and has a large goose ache." .... "Put some ice on it and I will be right home" was my response, as I interrupted him with my sudden anxiety. "I all ready did that mom. He is doing all right." I was in complete shock. What a young man. Sure enough, I came home to Garrett laying on the couch, fairly calm and doing all right.

Then... this morning I got a call from him. Conner and Stockton were headed off to school. They give me a call each morning before heading out. I like to make sure they have all they need for the day (here is my oldest child traits coming out). "Mom, you forgot two very important things this morning. You forgot to leave me and Stockton lunch money, and your forgot to write down what chores we were suppose to do today." Opps! I wish I were just a little more organized in my thoughts..haha! But then Conner said, "Don't worry too much. I all ready made me and Stockton some lunch, so we are ready to go." WOW! I could learn a few things from my own son in being so responsible and picking up the slack on things his mother has forgotten to do. I tell you what, he is going to make a fine father someday!

0 comments: