Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The Cupcakes

It was late Sunday night. We were all whinding down from a long, exciting weekend. I had gotten Zander and Garrett all scrubbed up, and out of the bath tub. I thought I would let the kids have a little creative moment. We had made cupcakes for a Halloween party we had Saturday. There was some extra cupcakes, decoration candies and frosting left. Stockton had been dying to make his own cupcake creation, so I figured I would be a good mom and let them go for it. Stockton, Garrett and Zander each made their own little cupcake masterpiece. They were very proud of themselves and began eating them. I turned my attention the the much needed pantry which required some organization. I was busy at work before I realized I didn't hear any children chatter. I peaked my head out of the pantry only to find the boys missing. I listened for a moment and heard some roars of laughter coming from the bathroom. When I looked down the hall, I could see the bathroom door was closed.... I knew that meant trouble. I hurried down the hall and opened the bathroom door. The laughter stopped abruptly and I gasped. They had taken their cupcakes and smashed them into each others faces!! I wish I could say I thought it was funny, but there was green, white and orange frosting all over their freshly washed faces. Had I not know what Zander was wearing, I probably wouldn't have been able to identify him as my son. He had chocolate cupcake smeared all over his tiny little face and all down his pajamas. He looked at me, held up his hands, and said "Stockton did it!" With that, I looked at Stockton. He knew he was guilty as his face was also covered in the cupcake mess. I looked at him and said, "What are you thinking?" Stockton looked at me and said, "It was Garrett's idea!" By this time, Garrett was washing his face, trying to get rid of all the chocolate evidence. They were busted and Mom was mad.
I wish I could say that I handled the situation well, but I didn't. I bonked each of them on the head, washed them up and sent them to bed early. They were all so sad. Later, after I had cleaned the pantry and given myself some time to think about it, I realized I probably could have handled the situation better. The kids were having so much fun, they were happy and stopped their good time.... next time, we will have to just go in the backyard and have a cake smashing, pie throwing moment. That really would be a ton of fun!

0 comments: